Tuesday, June 8, 2010

75. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Living in Chicago year-round means you have to be prepared to dress for nearly every climate known to man. Whether it's 103 degrees or -17, you gotta go to work, which for most of us means leaving the house (I plan to get around this one day... but that's another post).

The best and worst thing about this is that I "have to" maintain two almost completely separate wardrobes. One for October thru May, and one for June thru September. Whatever the calendar says, summer starts when I pack up the sweaters and ends when I pull them back out. For 2010, summer started May 28th.

That was the day I pulled my box of summer gear out of the crawl space, and unpacked 19 pairs of pants and skirts, 17 dresses, and a dozen or so cute sleeveless tops. On the one hand, switching the winter clothes out is annually one of my favorite things to do. It's like getting a whole new wardrobe every year ("I totally forgot about this dress!"). On the other hand, every year I feel a little more guilty about the fact that I have enough clothing to clothe 2 or 3 people really well.

This isn't totally wasteful. Anything you wear in August in Chicago is almost certainly useless in February. But I could probably be more efficient if I tried. Not sure how, but probably. At the very least I could stop buying new stuff. Except shoes. I still got big plans for my shoe game.

No comments:

Post a Comment