Friday, September 10, 2010

114. Inspired by a True Story

I was recently reminded that I have a blog.  So here I am lol...

This wouldn't ordinarily get a post, but in an attempt to get back in the habit, I'm reaching for straws.  I found one over at the homie's blog.  It's a handy set of suggestions on how a chic can rub her man the right way.  He impressively stayed away from the "this is when/how/where to have sex with him" and focused on the things women genuinely might not have thought of on their own.  Do peep.

One in particular caught my eye for a comment one of the readers left.

The Homie: [Don't ask how his day was.]  The only day that I want to come home and talk about work is the day that I get a raise/promotion/bonus…on the other 225+ days of the year nothing worth mentioning happened so let’s talk about something that will actually not remind me of the last 10 hrs (or the upcoming 10 hrs) of work I just sat through…

The Commenter:  I didn’t notice until my recent boyfriend that men do not like to talk about work. I’m always asking my man, so how was your day, what happened at work? And I always get the same answer, fine, nothing.  I’m not sure if this is more appropriate for another post or if you can answer here, but can you elaborate on WHY MEN DON’T LIKE TO TALK ABOUT WORK? (emphasis in original)

Seriously???

This phenomenon boggles my mind.  "Why doesn't someone want to talk about work?"?  You've gotta be frikkin kiddin me.  No question in the history of life has ever answered itself more obviously than this one.  But here it is again for good measure.

Answer: Because it's work.

We all need to vent when things at work are bad.  We all wanna brag when things at work are good (as The Homie pointed out).  The other "225+" days of the year, it was just work.  I went, I watched the clock, I came home.  Who are these people who get off work and can't wait to spend another 20 minutes talking about the work they just spent 8+ hours waiting to get out of?  I'm home now.  I'm free.  I have no intention of physically or mentally returning to work until I absolutely have to.  Deal with it.

And stop asking.  Just thinking about the daily re-cap I do not feel like having is enough to cause my car to blow by that highway exit I'd normally take to your place, and head right on home to my own spot, where silence lives.  True story.

Now... to be fair, I do know people who enjoy talking about their day and asking their partners about theirs.  These people need to be equally yolked with like-minded individuals.  This is one of those quality of life issues that can seriously salt a relationship.  I respect the folks who need that connection, and those of us who'd rather go without it should learn to listen when our partners want to talk to us about their day.  But insisting that the other person do the same, day after day after day, is a subtle form of torture that probably goes a fair way to explaining why he/she walks in the door after work, goes straight to fridge, palms the remote, and tunes you out.

They just wanna be free.

---------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I wouldn't normally take this tone with a reader/commenter.  Not even of someone's blog.  Chalk it up to my being rusty and rushing to get a post up before I ran it through the usual "What to say and how to say it" rigamaroe.

No comments:

Post a Comment