Friday, September 10, 2010

115. I'll Have What She's Having

As I was trolling for inspiration catching up on the homie's blog, I came across a post on the infamous G Code.  We're all familiar.  This is the list of rules that define men's boundary between acceptable whoredom and complete out-of-pocketness.  It's a quality read (as usual), and inadvertantly made me realize something I hadn't really put together before.

As the last rule, we get this:

thou shall take one for the teamas the old saying (that just came into existence when i typed it) goes…sometimes you get the breast and thigh 2 piece but sometimes you gotta take the wing…it is a man’s duty to run interference with the “personality” of the group so that other members may choose the fairer maidens when necessary…you always have to remember that it’s 10 times more painful to need a friend to step up and not have one around than it is to entertain an ill-tempered booger-wolf for a few minutes…so any interference you run is really an investment in your own future success…

What's funny is that I immediately recognized times when a dude "ran interference" on one of my homegirls so his boy could holler at me,  and I was jealous.  This is how ill-suited to modern dating life I am.

I can easily recall times when I've watched a handsome, intelligent young gentleman sit casually chatting up one of my girls while his homeboy pressed thirstily all up in my personal space.  For example:

Her dude: So what do you do?
My dude: So where do you stay?

Her dude:  Did you like that movie?
My dude: What's your number?

Her dude: Yeah I love traveling. What's your favorite country?
My dude: So what are you doing later tonight?

At moments like these (which happen often enough), I am always, without fail, 100% envious of my friend.  Why does she get an interesting, witty, endearing conversation and I get "Can I bone you tonight" dude? No fair!  I'm an interesting conversationalist! I can be witty! Especially when I'm cute and feeling all confident.  Talk to me! 

And to make it more ridiculous, I always walk away (my number still safe, secure and unknown to thirsty dude) thinking that if homeboy had chatted me up like he chatted up my girl, I would've spent the night wishing he would ask for my number.  I guess it's cuz at that point he would've demonstrated something other than a raging libido and a propensity to bang random chics (neither of which is attractive by the way).

I can't be the only chic who feels this way.  I mean I guess in the ideal situation, the dude who's trying to holler begins with decent conversation and only later, after laying some groundwork, makes his way to the digit/sleepover request.  (Sidenote: I've actually seen this done quite effectively.  Some of the homies are world-class groundwork layers.  I digress.)  But even then, real talk, a man who leaves me feeling like I was worth talking to (about something other than how I look) just because, has an infinitely higher sleepover potential than one who just went through all the motions to get to an end.

Maybe I'm a nerd, and my ego is extra tied up in my intellect.  I honestly don't know.  But dang.  Just...

Dang.

No comments:

Post a Comment