Thursday, September 16, 2010

126. To Be Fair...

Today I came across a charming blog written by a New York City housewife.  She's 28 years-old, a college graduate, and spends her days at home cooking, cleaning, creating and blogging.  Don't tell anyone, but she kinda has my perfect life (maybe minus the married part).

Anyway, she has this post on how much she loves her Kindle.  As a sworn enemy of e-readers, I'd normally roll my eyes, make a gagging noise to myself, and keep scrolling.  But since she had already blessed me with this adorable post on the wisdom of dogs and this fritatta recipe complete with pictures, I decided to see what she had to say.

She made some good points.  And she inspired me to give a more generous consideration to the e-book.  For instance, if you read lots of books for fun, I can see the advantage of being able to carry a bunch of them around with you all the time without taking up any extra space.  Then if you're not gonna read them again, you don't have to trash them or bother trying to sell them.  And wouldn't we all prefer not to waste perfectly good trees on mediocre books?  And maybe people who read e-books also buy paper ones when they find something they love and wanna keep on the shelf.  I hope so (for their souls' sake).

So although I still don't expect to ever own an e-reader (someone recenly offered me one... I turned it down), I can understand folks who love them.  And no doubt there's a musical purist somewhere bemoaning the rise of the mp3 and the death of vinyl.  I don't own a single record, but I love music as much as the next person.  I guess the lesson is Judge not lest ye be judged, or something like that.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment