Thursday, September 16, 2010

125. The Deep End

In my quest for sneaker chic style, I've been spending some time in sneaker stores seeing what's out there.  The purple and orange Air Force 1's I had my eye on didn't wanna be had in my size, so I had to come up with a Plan B.  I had heard that Creative Recreation has good options for ladies, so I looked into a pair.  I ended up with these.

I found the ladies' Galow Hi in a sneaker shop in the South Loop.  How ridiculously fly are they?!  I was in immediate shoe love.  I didn't try em on at the time cuz I saw the price tag.  But after mulling it over I decided to holler at em.  Go big or go home, right?  Rather than spending $60/pair on 2 or 3 more subtle "intro" pairs, why not spend a little more and start right at the height of awesomeness?  So I pulled the trigger.

Problem is this: 1) I don't have anything that goes with these shoes. 2) Hi-tops aren't particularly flattering on me.  Now I woulda known number 2 if I had bothered to try the shoes on instead of just ordering them online (where they were $20 cheaper).  Number 1 surprised me because they're essentially brown and white shoes.  Who knew they'd be so hard to match?  

I don't have skinny jeans to tuck into them, so that's not an option.  Wearing regular jeans that hang down over the tops would defeat the purpose of wearing high-tops (a) and would risk having the blue dye bleed onto my not-cheap new shoes (unacceptable).  That means shorts or dresses.  My limited dress collection is not at all compatible.  And I don't wear shorts.  What to do?

Since I'm not tryna buy new clothes to go with my new shoes (I have a quasi-strict no new clothes policy), I'm gonna have to pull a rabbit outta the hats I already have.  So I'm getting creative.  This weekend I tried the sneakers with some men's khaki cargo shorts and a ladies' white button down.  Not two pieces I'd otherwise put together, but desperate times...  I figure this is a good opportunity for me to get my Carrie Bradshaw on and step out wearing whatever the hell I want.  If I ever work up the nerve to wear the outfit out of the house, I'll post a pic.

1 comment:

  1. As a true sneakerhead, I'm filled with joy that you were able to find a pair of my 2nd favorite brand (Nike is obviously in the top spot). Creative Recs are perfect as they can be dressed up or down for any occasion. They also let you go simple with the 'fit like the one you threw together.

    Kudos.

    ReplyDelete