Saturday, September 25, 2010

136. Into the West


#4 on the list of things I might like to do to earn a living (after writing, photography and teaching) is Painting.  I've painted once in my life.  It was required for an introductory drawing class I took in college.  Still not sure why, but whatever.  I wasn't very good at it.  But I've never stopped wanting to be.

In my head there's a collection of paintings and drawings I'd like to do someday.  Some fully developed, others only concepts or color palettes.  All completely inspiring.  Despite my early failure, I found myself in an art supply store last year spending an indefensible amount of money on paints and brushes.  They're in a bag in the basement now. 

Someday, when there's nothing waiting to be written, I plan to spend even more money on canvas, and get to work making a delirious mess in the middle of my living room.  I'll probably start with self-portraits and augmented photographs.  The ultimate would be painting the horizon over Lake Michigan.  Something about horizons is mesmerizing.

The painting in the picture is called Horizon of Hope and it's by Laura Harris.  This is the kind of painting I stand in front of and stare at for twenty minutes while I forget that there is anyone or anything else in the room.  I marvel at it and wonder how it is that someone has made light and depth and texture out of nothing.  It's incredible.  If art prices weren't incomprehensible to me, the walls of my home would be covered in paintings like this.  Couldn't you just see yourself getting lost in one?

No comments:

Post a Comment