Thursday, August 12, 2010

103. Ewwwwww!!! (This coffee tastes like coffee!)

So I'm watching an Oprah re-run today and she has the food guy on.  Michael Polan.  The one who wrote all the food books.  (I got most of the way through "Food Rules."  It's still on the shelf.)  Anywho...  He mentions that one of the reasons prepackaged foods are so bad for us is that, among other things, they're made with way more sugar and salt than we'd ever actually put in our own food. 

So I'm going about my day and 6pm hits.  Starting to wind down but I still need to get some things done.  I decide to make a latte.  Espresso, steamed vanilla soymilk, and yummy hazelnut syrup.  Point, aim, shoot.  I pour into my favorite red thermos and head off to my room.

At first taste, there is waaaaay too much espresso in this drink.  It takes like coffee (... gross).  I don't wanna add cold milk so I add a little more hazelnut.  On second taste, it's not bad but it's still not Starbucks-quality.

So I get to thinking about what Mr. Polan said.  1. I know Silk makes a special vanilla soymilk just for Starbucks.  I'm guessing it's a little sweeter than the stuff I buy at Target.  2. I don't know what their recipe is, but I'm betting it's less coffee, and more sugar, than whatever I'm whipping up at the crib.  Which sucks.

Here I am thinking I like coffee when I really just like warm, overly sweetened vanilla soymilk with a little bit of espresso in it.  Hmph.

(I'll see if I can't whip that up next time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment