Friday, August 20, 2010

109. Peace of Cake

I haven't been at it long, but I'm happy to report that so far adulthood hasn't been nearly as unpleasant as I'd (sometimes) imagined.  It's actually been kinda nice.

There are at least three jobs I'd look forward to getting up and doing everyday.  I'm surrounded by children whose company I enjoy.  I've secured pretty impressive food, clothing, and shelter for much less that you'd expect.  And I still get to take off for the occassional play date with the homies.  All good stuff.

And as for the hard parts... making grown-up decisions, etc... even that's not so bad.  It can suck, but I've found that most adulty things can be handled fairly well by following a few "simple" steps.  They are:

No. 1: Recognzie.  This is the easy part.  In any rough situation, step back, take a long, calm look around, and figure out what's actually going on, in one sentence or less.

No. 2: Strategize.  This is a little trickier.  It means taking the result of No. 1 and figuring out what your course of action should be.  If No. 1 is "I hate my job," maybe No. 2 is "I should quit."  Then again, maybe it's "I should play a more decisive role is how things are done at work."  Figuring out the healthiest, most productive long-term strategy is key.  Don't rush it.

No. 3: Follow through on No. 2.

No. 4: Let it be.  This means not obsessing over the thing you stopped, started, changed, or let go for the next four years.  Assuming you made the right call, find a way to appreciate and even enjoy it.  It doesn't make sense to spend your time mourning something you got right.  Take the W and keep it moving.

So there you have it.  Puff's fool-proof plan for acing adulthood.  Or whatever =).

No comments:

Post a Comment