Friday, August 6, 2010

94. Music-Palooza

Once upon a time, in a previous blogging life, the homie wrote that his graduate school applications had sent his music-getting into overdrive. I'm coming to know the feeling. I spend significant amounts of (work) time every day on a Pandora-Amazon-YouTube circuit of new music getting. Generally, it goes like this:

Pandora plays New Interesting Song by Artist I Never Heard Of. I go to Amazon to see what reviewers have said about New Interesting Album. I hit up YouTube to check out sample tracks from New Interesting Album and Artist I Never Heard Of's other albums.

On a good day iTunes gets 2 or 3 bucks outta me by the time I get home (though if I'm not too pressed I wait to download the song on Amazon. I love Amazon.) In any case I've never enjoyed spending 99 cents so much. At this point I'd rather have a great new song than a great new almost anything else. Most recently I've gotten it in with:

Blu & Exile - My World Is...
Helen Jane Long - Porcelain
Matt Nathanson - Bulletproof Weeks
Dave Tofani Quartet - In a Sentimental Mood
Aretha Franklin - Call Me

(I think) It's worth noting that my former co-blogger wrote at the time that he was spending crazy hours in Best Buy copping CDs. When I read that post again today I immediately wondered why on earth anyone would shop for music at Best Buy??? Then I remembered that things were not always as they are now. Just a few short years ago, we all shopped for music at Best Buy. It was the semi-official music-getting spot. How things have changed.

I'm impatiently awaiting my next trip East so I can violate the copyrights of my homie's entire music library. I plan on doubling (or tripling) the size of my collection without taking up an inch of extra space. Just thinking of the hours of new music listening that await me... Goosebumps.

Now if only I could say that it was my dedication to my schoolwork that was driving the cravings. If only.

No comments:

Post a Comment