Friday, August 6, 2010

95. The Barista

On the journey to adulthood, a free spirit develops an ever-expanding list of "I will not"s. This is a list of the things most/many adults tacitly consent to that the free spirit simply won't accept. The list generally includes things like "I will not work 80 hours a week," "I will not inhabit a cubicle," and "I will not be chained to a Blackberry." My own list has also included "I will not have a coffee habit," and "I will not not see my friends."

I murder that last one. Ask anyone. But I have recently (temporarily?) accepted defeat on the caffeine resistance. For the next couple of years at least, it's me and the beans. Since I don't want to go broke, I've begun working on my at-home barista game.

First we pulled out the espresso maker our adviser kindly donated a few years back. Then we grabbed up some beans from Target. Since we're picky we hit up Starbucks for Hazelnut syrup and were astonished to find that they sell liters of flavored syrup for only 7 bucks (Why am I paying $4 for a latte again???). A gallon of Silk's finest vanilla soymilk and we were in business.

I served up my first attempt to my sister, not normally a latte drinker. Very good reviews. Looking forward to future iterations. I tried an earlier version myself but haven't patronized my services since. Coffee and food don't play well together in my digestive tract, so I have to take one or the other in the morning. My inner fat girl wants the food. Not sure how that's gonna work, but I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment