Monday, August 2, 2010

89. Now Reading: The Reason for God

One of the more interesting parts of my life as a writer is my complicated relationship to reading. The one thing every writer (I've ever read) agrees on is that writers must read. A lot. And I don't.

Not because I don't enjoy it, but because I'm so particular about it. I don't read for pleasure, only for enrichment. If a book isn't going to make me a better person, if it's only going to entertain me, I'd much rather watch a sitcom or a movie. Of the books that make the cut, I come across a new one every 2 or 3 years or so.

The latest is "The Reason for God." I'm particularly fond of this one because a) it was a gift, and picking out a book for me that I'll actually read is no small feat; and b) it treats religious skepticism (something I have plenty of) as not only an acceptable trait for a Believer, but a necessary one.

So I'm all over it.

On deck: Letters to a Young Poet, Rainer Maria Rilke

No comments:

Post a Comment