Monday, May 3, 2010

18. On the Writing Life

One of my favorite things to read is writers' journals. I've found that a number of great writers kept amazing journals. Henry Thoreau is famous for his. Emerson less so, but still. I recently discovered that Bronson Alcott, who was really a teacher and only ever wrote half-heartedly, kept a remarkable journal.

Today I read a passage from Emerson's:

Cambridge, October 25, 1822

I find myself often idle, vagrant, stupid and hollow. This is somewhat appalling and, if I do not discipline myself with diligent care, I shall suffer severely from remorse and the sense of inferiority hereafter. All around me are industrious and will be great, I am indolent and shall be insignificant. Avert it! ... I need excitement.


That Emerson would write this is not in the least surprising. That he wrote it when he was 17 surprised and shamed the hell outta me. Either I have yet to have my moment of clarity as a writer, or I have had it and made nothing of it. I genuinely hope it's the former.

1 comment:

  1. Writer's journals...also known as this blog of yours?

    Or is this an unjournal since you're a writer who doesn't write :)

    Keep em coming...

    ReplyDelete