Thursday, May 6, 2010

20. 100 Pages a Day

What would it take for me to read 100 pages a day?

Clearly my conviction that I could earn the Ph.D. "in my free time" was in error. So I'm developing a different approach. I figure there are about 1,500 pages of effective reading sitting between me and a solid research proposal. 100 pages a day gets me two weeks reading, two weeks writing, and a proposal draft in about a month.

Not that I'm suddenly in a hurry. But someone I'll obviously be thanking in the Acknowledgments of my dissertation keeps pointing out to me that "God didn't make a spirit of procrastination." I'm thinking 60 pages in the morning (when I'm fresh) and 40 in the evening (when I'm tired).

I'm also reluctantly re-ordering my productive priorities. At least until I'm a candidate, I figure it has to be work, proposal, running, photography, writing, dancing. The current order - work, running, photography, dancing, writing, proposal - has obviously
not worked well.

1 comment:

  1. So I met Saidiya Hartman this weekend at a conference in New York...and damn near had a Dash-attack

    (ever see Incredibles? Remember the end where Dash spazzs out in the car on the way back after killing the bad guy because his superhero parents are "so cool" and "I love this family"? Yes, that is me, still 48 hours later)

    Talk about amazing writer, thinker, colleague...I'm in love with her mind. She is my intellectual-crush right now.

    And then I thought of you and Jhumpa Lahiri and I smiled.

    ReplyDelete