Wednesday, May 19, 2010

40. Ice Cream is Delicious


It just is. I don't know what it is in my programming that makes the taste of ice cream one of the five sensory wonders of the world for me. But it is.

Yesterday I discovered Breyer's All Natural Homemade Vanilla. It tastes like the vanilla of your childhood. Before you ever knew about a Haagen-Dasz or anything fancy. A few weeks ago I discovered another flavor that quickly climbed the list of my Top Ten.

So, as summer approaches, I'm offering up a smattering of goodness you might wanna sample on those days you decide to treat yourself. These are in no particular order.

Breyer's All Natural Homemade Vanilla See above.

Haagen-Dasz Dark Chocolate Mint This is a Limited Edition flavor and I don't know how long it'll be out. The chocolate is so rich, you can't eat much of it at once, which is nice, because it lasts longer. And the mint takes some getting used to, but after a few bites, it approaches a perfect balance pretty quickly.

Ben & Jerry's Sweet Cream & Cookies This is pretty much cookies and cream except that it's not made with vanilla ice cream. The sweet cream has a slightly stronger dairy taste and it goes really well with the chocolate cookies. (Breyer's Oreo ice cream is the next best thing.)

Thomas Sweet Ginger Snap Chewy ginger snap cookies in vanilla ice cream. It's from an ice cream shop in Princeton, New Jersey and I plan on stopping by whenever I am in Princeton for the rest of my life. It was really, really good.

Baskin-Robbins Pralines & Cream This was one of the flavors I took a shot on when I decided to get something other than my regular (cookies and cream). So good. The coating on the pralines is just thick enough to be crunch and it goes really well with the vanilla. There may also be caramel in it, can't remember. But it is excellent.

Do take advantage of this list. I'll try to discover a few new flavors this summer. Maybe something with fruit it in. Or something from some mom&pop place. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment