Wednesday, May 12, 2010

31. The King James Version


A lot of people are talking about LeBron James' meltdown in Game 5 last night. (Maybe meltdown isn't the right word... Maybe you gotta start hot to melt down?) Just as the play-offs were kicking off I asked a friend of mine what he thought the chances were of LeBron ending his career without a ring. I think he put it at 30%. I put it at 60%.

For all his talent, I've never gotten the impression that LeBron would slit his opponents' (or his teammates') throats to win. Jordan made me feel that way. Kobe makes me feel that way. LeBron seems to believe that he should win because he's the most talented guy on the court or because his team has the best chemistry.

We all know he can take over games, that he can be brilliant, that he can carry his team to a W with little or no help from the other four people on the court. But I wouldn't bank on winning a championship that way.

As a pitchman, I heart LeBron James. That Nike commercial where he jumped off the diving board in a white suit and folded up, looking into the camera mid-air, before executing a perfect dive, is one of my all-time favorites. And I think this article may be a little harsh on him. But man... how sad would it be to be the greatest player to never win it all? When everyone... like everyone... knows you could.

No comments:

Post a Comment