Friday, May 28, 2010

57. Su Casa Es Mi Casa

One of the great truths of my life is that much of the goodness that comes to me will (and has) come vicariously through my friends. Their families, their friends, their jobs, their homes. I am so accustomed to benefiting from my friends' blessings that I am genuinely happy for myself when they get good news. It's our good news.

Two of the homies just got awesome jobs. We got a job! Last year, when Baby Girl was born... We had a baby! It comes so naturally to me. And, though I can't say how they feel about it, I think that's a good thing.

As certain as I have been of the quality of my friendships, I'm only now starting to realize how deeply invested I have become in the lives of my friends. Not simply because I want them to be happy or to do well, but because I honestly believe that they are my purpose family (I just made that up... I may come up with a better term later).

What I mean is that they are the people I see myself doing my most important work with. Building and loving and teaching and growing with. They're the people whose visions of the purpose-driven life most closely match my own. The people whose work I respect and would sacrifice for. And since no one does anything alone, they're the people I believe have been given to go with me on my way. As I've been given to go with them on theirs.

So... You're running a school?... Alright, what's our vision for the school? You got a job in television?... How can we have the greatest impact with that? You're having a baby?... We're having a baby!!! =) And so on.

As time goes on, I imagine I'll only become more invested. I already have to be careful about saying "we" when I'm talking to other people, like my homie's boss. But between me and them I'm comfortable that we have an understanding. Su casa es mi casa. And vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment