Saturday, May 22, 2010

48. If You Ask Me, I'm ready

I can apply this song to every aspect of my life right now: professional, personal, social.



Today's update in black girl speculative fic behavior, I fell in love with the semi-cheesy mini-series Tin Man. If you have Netflix, you can watch it instantly. If you don't (who doesn't?), then Blockbuster it. But check it out. Directed by Nick Willing and hosted by the good folks at SyFy, it rereads and reworks L. Frank Baum's (and MGM's, let's be real) classic The Wizard of Oz.

And these guys don't regurgitate another cotton candy Disney 'toon. Without getting a PG-13 rating, it is a satisfyingly and sufficiently dirty fairy tale that doesn't sugar down torture, death, blood--I'd say there's even a suggestion of rape and sexual assault. And that's what good myths and fables are made of (ever read Grimm's Fairy Tales in their original form? Those stories are bloodier than 300). Plus Zooey Deschanel is a great actress. She manages to convince me that she's barely an adolescent without making me work to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment