Friday, May 28, 2010

58. On Friendship

I have always wanted to write a treatise on Love & Friendship. People don't write treatises anymore. Back in the day everyone and their mother had a treatise. On Marriage; On Democracy; On the Good Life; Everyone was writing "on" something.

The only treatise I've read on friendship was Cicero's and it's long as crap. But there's a golden passage about how the job of a true friend is to require our best of us. And not to let us succumb to our faults. Friends don't let friends be wack. I've been blessed with the friendship of a few people who also believe this and who keep me on my toes. One day, when I've done one of the Grand Things I hope to do in this life, I'll have them to thank for it.

In the meantime, Love & Friendship is #6 on the list of things I'll be writing about a lot. You may have noticed. It's just my thing.

-------------------------------------------
It is one of the severest tests of friendship to tell your friend his faults. So to love a man that you cannot bear to see a stain upon him, and to speak painful truth through loving words, that is friendship.

-Henry Ward Beecher

No comments:

Post a Comment